Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Boy


Author's Note: As I write this piece, it feels as if I am writing in a similar fashion to that of the book I am reading.  In this piece I am trying to work on adding more connections and adding more semantic devices, like similes and metaphors.

Part 1

I walk through the door and stop. I can sense somebody watching me. I slowly turn left and right searching for the presence that I sensed. The room appears to be empty, but then I catch sight of it. A dark figure huddled in the corner, silent. Slowly I approach it, and when I reach it I see something that I never would have expected. It was him.

Two years earlier...

I'm walking to school on a normal day. As I walked past an alley I saw him, not knowing that this side wards glance would change my life forever. That day at school I kept thinking of him, sitting there in the alley staring at me, not even acknowledging everything else that was going on. I was itching to go back there and talk to him. He seemed so mysterious. After school I approached the alley tenatively, looked around the corner and gasped. The boy wasn't there.

For the next few weeks my life continued normally, school, homework, sports, but then, about ten days after I first saw him, I found him. Actually I think it would be better to say that he found me. I had just woken up and was about to get ready for school when I screamed. He was sitting in the corner of my room, staring at me. A moment later, my mother burst into the room.

"What's wrong honey?" she asked quickly. She was out of breath, probably from running up the stairs too quickly. I was about to reply to her when I looked into the corner, to see if he was still there. He wasn't.

Part 2

I had to find him. This was driving me crazy, chasing him around only to have him disappear right when I wanted to see him the most. I knew that the next time I saw him I was going to get him. But that turned out to be a lot longer than I would have liked.

Finally, one day, after waiting way too long for this to happen, I saw him. Not only did I see him, I went after him. I was riding my bike to the grocery market to do some errands for my family, and I saw him sitting on the sidewalk. I made a quick decision to stop my bike, hop off, and go after him. I approached him tentatively, and got my first good look at him. He had his hair in a short buzz cut, as if to say he was serious about life, his other features were not very unique, except for the one thing that stood out more than anything else. His eyes were as cold as ice, but he didn't look like the type of person to anger quickly. I don't know what it was about him, but his presence seemed to calm me, almost as if we belonged together. But then I snapped back into reality. I was about to start to grill him for answers, but then something very strange happened. An elderly man exited the store behind him. The boy walked up to him, raised his hand, and disappeared.

Part 3

I was scared. I didn't know what was happening. I had thought this boy was just a guy who could get away  quickly. But know I didn't know what  I was supposed to do now that I had just seen this very strange event. Should I tell my parents, or even the cops? I already knew what I had to do though. I didn't do anything.

These run-ins with the boy were getting frustrating, so I knew that next time I saw him, I would for sure get the first word in, and get it in fast. I hate to say this, but, I had to wait very long to do this. Much too long in my opinion. I look back and realize that this time away from the boy actually gave me some time to think, get my life back together, and make me more sane. I had practically forgot him, but when I saw him next, it would be an event that I would never forget.

I was returning from a long, grueling Friday at school, walking in the wastelands between town and my neighborhood. I was passing the landfill, thinking about the awesome weekend ahead of me, when I saw him out of the corner of my eye. He was sitting, leaning against a particularly large pile of garbage. I ran up to him fast, as to make sure that he didn't get away. Right when I reached him I started talking, spitting out the words at him, so he could understand I was angry. "Who are you? Why were you following me? How did you just disappear that one day in town? So, do you have any answers?". And that's when he did something that totally knocked my socks off. I will remember this for as long as I live. The boy talked.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. This seems to play on a universal fear, a fear of unknown stalkers. When the plot takes the action to the bedroom, you also bring up a place where people feel very vulnerable. For these reasons, this piece feels very seasonal for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete